Thursday, May 23, 2019

My Favorite Theologian

"For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also." James 2:26


When I was almost ready to become an ordained minister in the Presbyterian Church (USA), I had to endure the final step: examination!  During this time, a panel of pastors and elders quizzed me on every conceivable question that a good candidate for ministry should be able to answer.  I was quite nervous and (probably) spoke too fast and too much.

One question stands out from that process: "Who is your favorite theologian and why?"

My answer, said with a relaxed smile, "Dietrich Bonhoeffer."

I went on to explain that Bonhoeffer believed that without good works, faith was "cheap."  It was still faith, it was still worthy, but it was hollow or cheap.  I completely agree with Dr. Bonhoeffer.

During Bonhoeffer's life, he became involved in many things in Germany that would ultimately bring him to death at the hand of Hitler and his Nazi thugs.  Bonhoeffer had spoken out clearly and forcefully against Hitler early in his rise to power, and Bonhoeffer's life was in danger for many years.  He managed to escape to America in the later part of World War II, but he also returned to do what he could to help his country.  

When he arrived, he was promptly arrested and jailed.

Two weeks before the end of the war, Bonhoeffer was hanged in a concentration camp where he spent his final days.

Reading his various statements and books reinforces that Bonhoeffer's ideas are clear, easy-to-understand (despite his reputation of preaching WAY over his congregation's heads), and believable.  They also have the added emphasis of reminding me that Bonhoeffer died for what he did and believed.  Few modern theologians have met a similar fate.

I don't want to die for what I believe in, but if I do - I have Bonhoeffer's example to show me how to do it.

Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pastoral Life in the Age of Coronavirus

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and instruction." Proverbs 1:7  Way back ...